Friday, July 27, 2012

The Secret(s) to My Success

Disclaimer: Today at work we had an ice cream social (for which I have been waiting excitedly for the past month) and I just fell down from my sugar high, so I don't want to make any promises that what follows will make any sense. For this I apologize.

As many of you know, I have not been a runner for a very long time. I'll tell that story some other time, though.This weekend I ran a total of 20 miles (13 Saturday and 7 Sunday). How do I do that? Well...


1) I'm actually dancing the whole time. Not literally, just in my head. I blast dance music and run with the beat, pretending that I am actually dancing. Those who know me know that if there is catchy dance music and I am in a place where I can dance, I will dance. I sometimes find myself dancing accidentally--a move will work its way into my run, but mostly I find myself dancing when I get excited in everyday life. when they were dishing out my third scoop of ice cream today, for example. Now, some of the dance moves I do in my head are dance moves you may see me do on an actual dance floor, but for the most part they are either moves that I cannot do or at least cannot do as gracefully in real life as I imagine it. I often get lost in my run, because I am so lost in choreographing a dance routine. So now you know.

2) I remember all of my awesome clients from Taller de Jose. I think about how my running the marathon can help them get assistance going to court and finding resources, even if sometimes it is just a sympathetic ear. How can I not run those miles when I know they are going to such a great place? It's sad that accompaniment is a phenomenon rarely seen outside of this amazing organization. I wrote the book on being a companera (literally--part of my job last summer was making a staff handbook) so I can tell you that it is truly honorable and necessary work.   I am very grateful to those who have already contributed to my fundraising campaign. I know everyone who reads this will share what they are able, and for that I am extremely grateful. (There are still 2+ months until the race, so don't feel rushed!).

Thank you for accompanying me on this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment